Sunday, January 10, 2010

Fear or Love

In the last few months I have endured some harsh criticism. Certainly some was probably in order, for we each grow not only by wisdom but also by the refining.. the sharpening from friends. However, there is a big difference between loving correction and judgment. Judgement is ugly. It is dividing. It usually brings death. There is no love expressed in judgment.

So what do we do when we are faced with this?

I have found myself becoming so angry, nearly revengeful. It is easy to justify oneself in the midst of an attack (deserved or undeserved). But that does not make it ok.

I received an email from a dear friend today. This is the verse of encouragement that she shared with me:
I John 4: 17-19 tells us this, “In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like HIM. There is NO FEAR IN LOVE, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. We love because he first loved us.”

In chewing on these words, I realized that my emotions are being fueled by fear. Fear of disappointing others, fear of rejection, fear of failure. The truth is that fear and love can not occupy the same space. We must.. I must choose one or the other. I would like to profess that from this moment forward that I will always choose love. The truth is that is easier spoken than actually lived. So what I will speak is that TODAY.. I don't know about tomorrow.. but TODAY I will choose LOVE. To love those who love me and those who spitefully accuse me because in doing so fear will have to flee.

No comments: