Monday, November 17, 2008

Prayer For Lacey



Some of you already know my dear friend Lacey Redditt. For those of you who do not.. let me fill you in a bit. This is her family pictured above. It was taken this past summer at Disney. 

I met Lacey while my love was completing his very long AIT at good ole FT. Gordon. We became instant friends as we both were learning the ways of the army life. We have been through so much together the thick and thin.. (wink wink Lacey). Any-who, over the past few months Lacey has been hit very hard with some unexplained medical madness. I am going to paste the blog that her love Josh posted as an update to her condition at the end of my blog. After reading his blog, I felt so compelled to share this with all of you, my friends and prayer warriors. 

I am asking that you read it entirely and join me in prayer for Lacey and her family. My goal is to build a 24 hour prayer wall along with 40 days of fasting.. You may fast whatever you feel lead to do. For me the thing that drives me is coffee. For those of you who know me well.. you know that I LOVE coffee. Well, for the next 40 days I am surrendering it in submission to the word for Lacey to see a miracle in her life and be totally healed..  Here is the word we will stand on together:
(Matthew 17:14-29)

14As they approached the other disciples, they saw a large crowd around them and some scribes arguing with them. 

15The whole crowd was very surprised to see Jesus and ran to welcome him.

16He asked the scribes,“What are you arguing about with them?”

17A man in the crowd answered him, “Teacher, I brought my son to you. He has a spirit that won't let him talk. 

18Whenever it brings on a seizure, it throws him to the ground. Then he foams at the mouth, grinds his teeth, and becomes stiff. So I asked your disciples to drive the spirit out, but they didn't have the power.”

19Jesus said to them, “You unbelieving generation! How long must I be with you? How long must I put up with you? Bring him to me!”

20So they brought the boy to him. When the spirit saw Jesus, it immediately threw the boy into convulsions. He fell on the ground and kept rolling around and foaming at the mouth. 

21Then Jesus asked his father, “How long has this been happening to him?” He said, “Since he was a child. 

22The spirit has often thrown him into fire and into water to destroy him. But if you are able to do anything, have pity on us and help us!”

23Jesus said to him, “‘If you are able?’ Everything is possible for the person who believes!”

24With tears flowing, the child's father at once cried out, “I do believe! Help my unbelief!”

25When Jesus saw that a crowd was running to the scene, he rebuked the unclean spirit, saying to it, “You spirit that won't let him talk or hear—I command you to come out of him and never enter him again!” 

26The spirit screamed, shook the child violently, and came out. The boy was like a corpse, and many said that he was dead. 

27But Jesus took his hand and helped him up, and he stood up.

28When Jesus came home, his disciples asked him privately, “Why couldn't we drive the spirit out?”

29He told them, “This kind can come out only by prayer and fasting" 

Let me know what time you would like to choose to pray for her. You may also find her on myspace page or facebook and drop her a line to let her know you are praying. The 40 days will begin tomorrow and end on 27 December. 

Thank you all so much.. Here is the post from Josh about Lacey:

Well, I guess it's about time for a new update on the Lacey experience. Recently our main Lacey-sitter took a much needed vacation. She will return on the 18th, but until then, I am on leave to take care of Lacey. It's a good thing that I took off too; Lacey's condition is getting considerably worse. At this point it's actually bad enough that the older ladies in the church will no longer be able to help Lacey, but I will talk more about that in a minute. 
As far as the homeschooling goes, the kids are doing great. Although, recently our concern has been more that we are overworking them. Writing letters starts at 9 am. Math follows at 10. Science, Social Studies, and Language Arts are on rotations and usually last until 11:30 or noon. After that is lunch and then PE. As far as character and discipline go, we are growing in methods of administration. Sometimes running 4 times around the playground is extremely effective. Other times, running up the stairs a few times seems to do the trick. It sounds mean, I know, but it is the most effective thing we have found so far, especially since Hudson is oblivious to spanking now. Their character is slowly returning back to what it was before they started public school. 
When it comes to me, I have been struggling with some medical issues of my own. My blood pressure is going through the roof. Part of it may be from the medicine that I have been taking for anxiety, but the other part of it is probably just age and the overwhelming situation at hand. 
That leads me up to the events of this week. On Thursday, I went in to see the family doctor here on post and of course, brought the whole family. While sitting in the chair for screening, Lacey who has recently been having trouble walking went from leaning on the wall next to the kids to face down on the concrete floor. I tried to at least catch her head but almost ripped the blood pressure machine apart. The poor pregnant nurse didn't know what to do except for call for help, but her belly couldn't fit through the door since Lacey was blocking it. Within a minute's time, there were 3 more nurses, 1 doctor, and a wheelchair sitting on the other side of the door trying to figure out how to get to Lacey without hurting her. Before they could try anything though, Lacey came to, just as I had calmly told them she would. Next thing I knew, I was standing against the wall with the kids and Lacey was in the screening chair getting checked in instead. 
Soon enough we were all in the exam room with the doctor. She was kind enough to take care of both of us. I got my meds changed and am now on HCTZ as well. Then just for kicks, I had to get a chest x-ray, EKG, and stress test. Something about chest pain and high blood pressure earns you such special treatment. We're still waiting on those results.
Then it was Lacey's turn. As she sat in a wheelchair, the doctor patiently tried to look at all of Lacey's symptoms again since there are several that have gotten worse and more new ones. In light of all that, she thinks that narcolepsy may not be the answer, especially since Lacey's medicine is not working at all. Instead she mentioned Multiple Sclerosis or some other nervous disorder. Our appointment with the neurologist was the next day on Friday anyway. In the mean time though, Lacey got another MRI scheduled for Wednesday this week for her entire spine. She also got a walker. Not just any walker-this walker is sexy red with a flip down seat, four wheels, and brakes.
Photobucket"> 
As sad as it may be that my vibrant, young 25 year-old wife is having to use a walker, it is great to see her be able to walk through the grocery store without collapsing on her knees out of sheer exhaustion (yes this is separate from passing out, which still happens 4 to 8 times each and every day). We have been doing a lot of laughing and crying. Aside from having trouble walking, other new symptoms include incontinence, extreme afternoon fatigue, numb toes and fingers, and more cognitive issues. 
Friday's visit to the neurologist was both encouraging and discouraging. Our fears had recently been that he was leading us down the road that Lacey would end up at a Psychiatrist. Instead, he told us that MS may be a possibility, but more likely is an Autonomic Nervous Disorder. He started a new round of tests. He and the family doctor will be looking at the spine MRI (C, L, and T Spine). Also he gave us a Psychiatric evaluation, Lumbar puncture, endocronology appointment, and anti-siezure medication. Basically, he just wants to have all the tests ready for when he refers us to Johns Hopkins Hospital. 
This is both great news and bad news. The good part is that Johns Hopkins is a university hospital, and they have a lot of specialists. We should be able to find out something soon. The bad part is that they will probably be admitting Lacey for 5 days to a week at a time to run tests. 

In the mean time, her trips out of the house are growing more limited especially since I have to pick up her legs to put her in the car. This holds true for the tub and going back up our steps to get into our house. The other thing is that Lacey has spent a lot of time lately questioning her value as a wife and mother. I constantly reaffirm my love for her no matter what, but it doesn't seem to be enough. Just keep us in your prayers. I know God is gonna work it all out. Hopefully, I will still be in the Army, but I know we will be ok if not. My company has been understanding for the most part, but I know there comes a point when it becomes necessary. 

No comments: