Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Four Letter Word

It has been almost a year since my family and I attended a stateside church service. I have expressed to many of you my feelings about the church. I have met so many people who have been wounded by the judgment and lack of authenticity that exist in many churches today. It absolutely breaks my heart. The church was never intended to be this way. I believe that the church should be a living portrait of Jesus who exalted love above all else.

Today my family attended our first church service since arriving in Colorado Springs. The congregation is huge, the facilities are superb, the programs are on target, and there is limitless potential for our family to grow and mature in the word. It is all very exciting. But if all those "things" were stripped away, what would be left? If there were no programs, no grand facilities... what would draw the people into the service? I sincerely believe that it rest within that one four letter word.. L-O-V-E. We as a family felt loved today, and because of this and this alone we will return. We will jump in with all eight feet and serve with all our hearts.

Think about this with me for a moment. L-O-V-E... what does that word mean to you? Has it lost its power? Is it over-used, under-stated? What has it driven you to do? What has it stopped you from doing? What did it mean to Christ? How are we to be motivated by it?

I know that I have much to learn about this word.

This is my prayer today...
Lord Jesus, teach me what love is. Help me to sincerely love the way that you love, without judgement or pretense. I have made many plans for my life. I have written it down from A-Z, but all of it is in vain unless I learn to love. Let my plans, my hopes, my dreams be ruined by your love. I know that your will for me is far greater than anything I could ever dream or imagine... so let me rest in love.. hope in love.. serve in love.. be identified by love.
AMEN!

No comments: