Monday, August 2, 2010

Save The Soap

It is HOT in Alabama today. So much so that I took three showers. That's right one, two, THREE! One this morning to get ready to drive my brother-in-law to the airport. Once home from the airport I started working in the yard and right in the middle of a good sweat, my lawn equipment broke. After a few nice words and a swift kick to the broken equipment, I needed to go to town thus creating the need for shower number two. When I got back home I proceeded to complete my yard, and being covered in a mix of dry grass, rotten apples, and dead bugs I desperately needed shower number three. Why am I telling you this? Because there is a message; hang with me.

As you know this week has been emotional for me. While in the mist of shower number three, I began to ponder my emotions and the actions of today. As clear as the sound of water on my skin my mind echoed the words, "so that times of refreshing may come". I knew in my heart that is a bible verse. I have heard it before... somewhere. I just did not know the chapter or verse or the context of it.

After my shower I googled those words. This is the verse:

Acts 3:19-20 (New Living Translation)

19 Now repent of your sins and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped away. 20 Then times of refreshment will come from the presence of the Lord, and he will again send you Jesus, your appointed Messiah.

I encourage you to read for yourself the entire chapter so that you will see those words in context.

What it spoke to me is this:

There are many things that I have prayed for. One is this job that has taken my love to a far away land. He was not forced to take this job. It was a decision that we as a family agreed on. We knew the danger, considered the risk, counted the cost and got EXACTLY what we asked for. But as soon as it began to get painful, I started crying and complaining. The point is, I did not recognize the answer to my own prayer. That is exactly what happened in this chapter 3. A miraculous healing has taken place and yet people are looking the wrong way to the wrong person. They did not recognize that this healing has come from Jesus. Peter warns the people that they missed Jesus the first time and he is coming again. How many times do we get exactly what we pray for and then begrudge it when it comes? I dare say that when we do this we miss an opportunity to see Jesus.

Today I needed some serious refreshing; working in this Alabama heat does not create a sweet aroma. Know what I mean? But for the last several days I have been covered in things much worse than dry grass, dead bugs, and rotten apples. I could take a million showers and those things would remain. The only thing that can wash me clean from wrong attitudes, self pity, and greed is some old fashion prayer and repentance. Then you can save your soap because true cleansing and refreshing will come and the presence of Jesus will be with you.

1 comment:

Kendra said...

I love it.. The last few days/weeks I have been feeling overwhelmed and just tired. Why can't I take the easy road and this morning I had the "A-ha moment"! If we always choose the easy way we will never experience God's awesome power. Choose the Mountain! That is when you see God at work.