Saturday, August 7, 2010

Footloose

I am a few hours late for yesterday's post. Since committing to teach pre-k this school year, things have been non-stop. I took a break yesterday from preparing my own classroom to take my babies 'Back to School' shopping. I love our little town, but for great shopping you must drive at least an hour in one direction or the other. We choose to go north and shop in Huntsville.

My new favorite store Crossroads was having a huge shoe sale, so we HAD to go. Crossroads carries a lot of exclusive brands like sanku, TOMS (big smile), and five fingers. My daughter decided she wanted some new TOMS wedges and my little guy wanted a pair of TOMS too. Considering that every time you buy a pair of TOMS a pair is given to a child in need, I do not mind driving an hour or paying the price for them. However when we arrived at Crossroads they did not have the sizes we needed for either child.

Ashlynn quickly found something else (so did mom; that is another story) but Caleb is my picky child. Oh the misery.... I am sure this adds to my gray. Any-who, after an hour of rejecting shoe after shoe, my little guy spotted the five fingers. Now let me just tell you these shoes are UGLY and they start at $80 (no giving to a child in need either). Conversely to that we still had a lot of shopping to do and the little guy had already worn me down. So left Crossroads with 2 pair of TOMS and Five Fingers covering the red head's feet.

As the day progressed and Daddy's bank account go smaller, my little guy seemed jovial. In one random moment the little man shouted from the back seat, "Mom, these shoes just make me want to DANCE." You just had to be there. I laughed till I cried. I am still laughing about it.

Now I told you that story to say this:

Yesterday was one week exactly that my heartbeat and breath boarded a plane and this deployment journey began. Had you told me last Friday that in one week I would be able to carry on and laugh without fear and sadness covering me, I would have thought that you were clueless.

Conversely here we are. I am walking daily in peace because I know Peace by Name. The Word tells us that there is a time and season for everything and in everything we should praise Him.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 (New Living Translation)
1 For everything there is a season,
a time for every activity under heaven.
2 A time to be born and a time to die.
A time to plant and a time to harvest.
3 A time to kill and a time to heal.
A time to tear down and a time to build up.
4 A time to cry and a time to laugh.
A time to grieve and a time to dance.

5 A time to scatter stones and a time to gather stones.
A time to embrace and a time to turn away.
6 A time to search and a time to quit searching.
A time to keep and a time to throw away.
7 A time to tear and a time to mend.
A time to be quiet and a time to speak.
8 A time to love and a time to hate.
A time for war and a time for peace.


Every time I read this or hear it spoken, my mind immediately goes back to 1980 something and the movie FOOTLOOSE. I loved that movie. I know I watched it a million times. Thinking about it brings a smile to my face. I am sure I can still sing the songs word for word... footloose kick off your Sunday shoes..

Thank you Father for this time to laugh and this time to dance right in the middle of the hardest time for our family. You are indeed GOOD.

Now if you want to covers your little piggies with Five Fingers feel footloose, here they are:

http://www.vibram-fivefinger.com/search/sprint+yellow

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If it helps those shoes are suppose to be really good to run in =]