Saturday, July 31, 2010

Not the Dopplebocks!

Be of sober mind. Those are the words that keep running through my head.

Now I love a good glass of sweet wine or a cold German beer and I don't believe that there is anything morally wrong with that. I enjoy my treat responsibly and never in excess. So I was a little taken by those repeating words. I mulled them over in my mind a few times, then decided that they could not mean, Don't drink during this deployment. After-all my love just splurged on four german dopplebocks for me. It would be a shame to let them go to waste, right!?

So after a long emotional day yesterday, I showered, put on some comfort clothes, and then went to the kitchen to slowly pour my dopplebock into a perfectly shaped stein. Mmm it was good, for a moment. Then my emotions intensified and I felt guilt in my heart.

After a long cry and and a few minutes in the Word of God, I decided to lay down my liquid treats for the remainder of this deployment. Since my surgery in 2007 even a sip of wine or beer can make my emotions race, and now more than ever I must be of sober mind. My love and my Jesus have my heart; it is my mind that must be guarded with hawk eyes for the next 365+ days.

Oh.. so what to do with my dopplebocks? I suppose that I will pass them along. Any takers?

3 comments:

drea said...

Not the Dopplebocks!! I understand how drinking can make you feel too emotional at a time when you're already overwhelmed, but remember that a glass of wine or beer can also be a great stress relief. You will need some stress relief after a couple months of being a "single mother", but that's just my opinion. You might want to hide those dopplebocks in the back of the fridge just in case.

Bevvy said...

I agree with Drea. Keep em just in case. Its not weakness. I did the last one completely dry and the one before a glass of wine a night. Looking back, my heart was more sound the second one than the third one, as was my mind. I am sure there are many cumulative reasons for that, however, I am now absolutely confident in myself that I have nothing to prove and do not have to go dry during a deployment. Thats me though baby. I did one dry. Go ahead and do it dry if you choose and hey, good for you. But, if you choose not to, well then, heck, nothing wrong with that either. Judge not lest you be judged. ;)

Rebecca said...

AHA! I can post comments now!! Hehehehe . . . this is GOOD!

Okay, here it is. DON'T give in to the temptation when you have been convicted from the Holy Spirit. Guilt does NOT come from the Lord, but conviction does. You stick to your guns and I support that ONE HUNDRED percent!!

Love you Sister!!